The crazy in me recognizes and honours the crazy in you.
WHY I THINK WE ARE ALL CRAZY
Not too long ago, if you told someone you were going to run from 56km, they would call you insane. 'Why don't you just take a car?', they say. And yet, this past month we celebrated the 50th year of the Two Oceans. Same if you told them you are running from Durban to Pietermaritzburg, they would call you insane. Or even deranged. And yet, here we are. At the brink of the start of the Comrades, in it's 98th year already.
Everywhere I look, there is another event, ultra or run. Crazier than the previous one. But deep down in me, I feel this urge, this need, to take part. To challenge and push myself harder, further, past my limits. Just to see, 'what if'. And we all do this. Whether you are doing 5km at a pace of 8mins/km. Or you are the first to finish the Warrior race. We are all pushing ourselves out of our comfort zones, past our limits. Which non-runners don't seem to understand. We find this 'fun'.
If you recognise the gate in that picture. You my friend, are certifiably crazy. (Don't worry - I am too!) If you don't know this gate. Do yourself a favour and Google The Barkley Marathons. It's ok. I'll wait for you to return from the rabbit hole that is the BM. Absolute suffer-fest. And yet, people from all over the world travel to go take part.
And don't think just because you are doing short distances that you are exempt from the crazy-list. You are still on the list my friend. You might just be lower down on the list than the guy in front of you.
It seems we as a species are even crazier than I had initially thought. But this also makes me feel less crazy for wanting to take part in these types of events. Or even just doing my own crazy thing. I am so very happy to be part of his yellow-and-black-family. So happy to know I have somewhere I can go, and people to talk to, who won't think I am 'crazy'.
So for you fellow crazies out there, I see you. I salute you. I honour and respect you.
The Comrades Marathon is not about rapid gains, it is about ability to endure the pain through months of preparation and training.
The blisters and sore legs will be temporary but the glory of being a Comrades Marathon runner is forever.
Standing at the starting line on 9 June will be 99% of your goal achieved, the Up-Run itself is the other 1% to conquer.
Everyone will be equal and ordinary at the starting line but legends will be born at the finish line on that glorius day.
Come join your fellow DURBAC members on 29 May to honour those future legends.
In order to get your club license number, you then need to print the member form on their website and sign it. Take this form, the club indemnity form (which is on our website) and your proof of payment for the club fees to Benjie at Van der Merwe & Robertson (opposite the Post Office-2nd Floor, V&R Building, 34 Oxford Road, Durbanville.
The amount for club membership is R360 which includes the ASA licence. The full process can be found at www.durbac.org.za/join. Age category numbers can also be collected from there.
Running vests and t-shirts are available from Kloppers Sport, Cape Gate Décor Centre, Okavango Road/Tanner Street. New stock has just arrived so all sizes should now be available.
When you take part in an official WPA race or event please ensure that you wear a Durbac club running vest or t-shirt (with your licence number on the front and the back) and black shorts or tights.
*We are now following the winter training times.
Here is a basic rundown of Durbac’s Club and Pack runs:
On a normal week there are road club runs at 18.00 on a Tuesday and Thursday from Durbanville Golf Club with distance options from around 5km to 15km as well as a beginners group.
There is also a longer run of between 20km and 30km on a Sunday. The Sunday run starts at 6am during the summer and 7am in the winter months and routes are updated on a weekly basis through Facebook and Whatsapp. There is a R10 seconding fee for the Sunday run.
Trail runs are also organised every week and open to all members.
Wednesday farm runs, meet at 17:30 running at 17:45. Venue rotates between Majik Forest, Meerendal, Altydgedacht, Bellville Golf Course and Vodacom World of Golf. These runs are suitable for all runners, from experienced trail goats to avid roadrunners. As these are pack runs we regroup regularly (also an excellent way to catch your breath). With enough groups there will surely be one to fit your level of fitness and trail comfort.
Twice a month the team arranged pack runs, usually on a Sunday. These are more serious trails in some of the most beautiful mountains and nature around the Cape, but we still cater for all likes of runners by having different packs for different capabilities. Just watch Facebook for the next adventure – and come and enjoy some seriously fresh air in nature!